Adaptation to Climate Change through the Promotion of Biodiversity in Bac Lieu Province
- Southeast Asia
ENTRY DATE: 09.03.2012 | LAST UPDATE: 09.03.2012
- Sub-national Level
BEST PRACTICE IN:
- Capacity Building
- Project Implementation
- Coastal Zone Management
- USD 5,000,001 - USD 10,000,000
Description of Intervention
• Assist government agencies in developing protective mechanisms for the coastal zone and rehabilitating the mangrove forests through capacity development activities for local authorities, the development of school curricula and awareness raising campaign for environmental education; and
• Assist farmers in raising local incomes through the introduction of salt-tolerant rice species.
Problems to be Addressed
• Change in precipitation patterns and rising sea levels have caused salt water intrusion reaching as far as 70km inland and causing crop failures; and
• The reduction of coastal forest cover has led to decrease of its resilience against the effects of climate change.
Adaptation to climate change through biodiversity restoration in Bac Lieu province
The protective effect of coastal forests is being enhanced through the sustainable use of resources and the promotion of biodiversity
How it fits into the EbA concept
The project aims to increase the resilience of ecosystems and farmers dependent on the ecosystems for their livelihood activities in Bac Lieu province against climate change impacts through the management of natural infrastructure, such as mangrove forests and bamboo fencing.
German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ)'s Management of Natural Resource (MNR) Programme. Adaptation to Climate Change through the promotion of Biodiversity in Bac Lieu Province: http://www.giz-mnr.org.vn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=74