"It's All About Making The Right Choices At The Right Time"
What is this course about?
In a world where both natural and man-made disasters are affecting us with alarming frequency, the concepts of disaster preparedness and disaster risk reduction (DRR) are top of the list of priorities of an increasing number of countries in Asia. Disaster Risk Reduction is a systematic approach to identify, assess and mitigate the risk of disaster. DRR aims to reduce socio-economic vulnerability to disaster as well as dealing with the environmental and other hazards that trigger them. DRR is not a one-off activity but instead an integral part of the way organisations do their work. DRR is wide-ranging; its scope is much broader and deeper than crisis management. This programme addresses the challenges of assessing hazards, vulnerability and resilience and maximizing community engagement to transform information gathered into a professional plan aligned with Government and other agencies.
Staff of development organisation involved in the design, execution and coordination of project and programmes. This includes (future) project managers/coordinators, portfolio managers, desk officers and programme officers from development related organizations including donors, government departments, civil society groups, (I)NGO’s and charities.
- Understand the concepts of disaster risk reduction (DRR) and disaster management.
- Explain the relationship between hazards, vulnerability, capacity and disaster risk.
- Explain what community based disaster risk management (CBDRM) is, its aim, main features and approach how disaster risk can be reduced through CBDRM.
- Demonstrate the use of participatory rural appraisal (PRA) tools in collecting and analysing information for Hazard Vulnerability Capacity Analysis (HVCA) for developing a DRR plan.
- Language: English
- Dates: 03rd – 05th March 2014
- Course fee: € 450
- Country: Bali, Indonesia
(The course fee includes lunch, snacks, course material and a certificate)
Follow the link and register online: http://www.mdf.nl/course/drr-a/
- Definitions and basic concepts
- Disaster risk assessment
- Community based disaster risk reduction/management
- Steps of community based disaster risk management (CBDRM)
- Participatory tools used for data and information collection on hazards, vulnerabilities, capacity analysis (HVCA)
- Analysis of data and information
- Formulating a DRR plan
- DRR monitoring and evaluation
- Stakeholder analysis and coordination with relevant organization for DRR
INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE
Ms. Inez UsLeyanege<br/>Marketing & Client Liaison – MDF Asia
Mobile: +94 77 3949041
Tel: +94 11 2808121 or 11 2805122