Photo Contest Rules
WHO MAY ENTER
The contest is open to all photographers (professional or amateur).
HOW TO ENTER
Each entry consists of an application form and one (or up to three) image(s). There is no entrance fee for this contest.
All entrants must register for the contest by completing and submitting the official application form provided on the APAN Web Portal and certify that the photo is their own and copyrights have not been violated. Photo entries will be disqualified without proper completion of the application form.
- The photo can be taken by any kind of camera. The photo should be at least 2,000 pixels at the longest side of the image.
- All entries must be sent as hi-resolution digital image files in JPEG with minimal compression. Each image should not exceed 3 MB.
- Minimal digital manipulation (i.e. only manipulations such as color enhancement, cropping) is allowed. Excessively manipulated photos will be disqualified.
- The photo cannot be a photomontage or a collage.
- The photo must be taken in the Asia-Pacific region (i.e. countries in South Asia, Southeast Asia, Northeast Asia, Central Asia, and the Pacific).
- The photo must depict climate change adaptation.
- The photo must be submitted electronically along with the completed application form (attached to the email) and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including publicity and intellectual property rights.
- Each entrant is allowed a maximum of three submissions.
Entry period: 28 Jul 2014 – 01 Sep 2014
Contest deadline: 01 Sep 2014, 11:59PM (GMT +07:00) Bangkok Time
10 photos will be shortlisted and posted in an album on APAN’s Facebook page (APAN Photo Contest 2014: Your Vote) on 08 Sep 2014 at 10:00AM (GMT +07:00) Bangkok Time for public voting.
The two-week long voting period will commence from 08 Sep 2014, 10:00AM (GMT +07:00) Bangkok Time to 22 Sep 2014, 05:00PM (GMT +07:00) Bangkok Time
The top 10 photos and winning photos will also be displayed at the 4th Asia-Pacific Climate Change Adaptation Forum.
The entries will be evaluated based on a two-tier grading scheme that passes through:  the APAN Regional Hub and  the APAN Photo Contest 2014 Judging Panel.
Each photo will be given points based on the criteria below. The maximum number of points any photo can get is 40. All entries will be first vetted by the APAN Regional Hub based on the judging criteria below:
- The relevance to the contest theme and climate change adaptation [0-10 points]
- The interpretation, creativity and the message of the photo [0 – 10 points]
- The photo composition and the quality of the photo [0 – 20 points]
Based on these criteria, the top 10 photos with the highest score will be passed on to the judges. The judges will rank their preferences and make the final decision on first, second and third prizes.
The decisions of the APAN Photo Contest 2014 judging panel are final. Submitted entries will be evaluated according to the mentioned criteria.
The APAN Regional Hub reserves the right to disqualify any photo submission that does not conform to the stipulated rules and guidelines.
The APAN Photo Contest 2014 Popular Choice Award winner will be based on a vote by the public via https://www.facebook.com/asiapacificadaptationnetwork
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The participant must be the author and sole owner of the copyright of each photograph submitted.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them.
- The participant shall retain the copyright of the photos submitted in the contest. The participant shall also grant the right to the APAN Regional Hub to publish, display and exhibit their submitted photographs in its publications, brochures and other materials as well as on its website and other online platforms. The photos will be used for non-commercial purposes without payment or fee to the participant. The APAN Regional Hub will make every effort to credit photographers but we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will contain the photographers' name.
II. LOST ENTRIES: The APAN Regional Hub will not be held responsible for any photos lost or not received.
III. PRIVACY: By submitting photos, entrants agree that if they win, the APAN Regional Hub may use the personal information on their entry forms for publicity purposes, with the exception of street address, email address and telephone number. The winners consent to the use of their personal information by the APAN Regional Hub in publicity in all media, such as online, newspaper, television, and radio.
- By submitting photos, participants agree that no claim relating to any damage, loss, injury or inconvenience shall be asserted against the APAN Regional Hub, its networks, and the employees and assignees from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind resulting from the project.
- The participant hereby indemnify and hold the APAN Regional Hub harmless from any claims, actions, proceedings costs and expenses arising as a result of any allegation that the relevant participant did not own or is not wholly entitled and authorized to allow publication and reproduction of the work by the APAN Regional Hub.
- The APAN Regional Hub reserves the right to disqualify any entries, if the contents are deemed inappropriate or against public interest.
- The Terms and Conditions above are subject to change and/or supplement by the APAN Regional Hub at any time during the submission period as and when it deems fit. The APAN Regional Hub assumes no liability whatsoever for any outcome as a result of such action.